This is your initial psychiatric evaluation. We will spend 75 minutes together. In the first hour, we will discuss your reasons for seeking help, and in the last 15 minutes, we will make a reasonable plan of action.
Common reasons for seeking out a psychiatric consultation include, but are not limited to, the following:
- you notice a change in your mood, your nerves, your thinking, or your behavior, and you don’t know why
- you have medically unexplained physical symptoms
- you’ve received psychiatric medications from your primary care doctor but they don’t seem to be working or your symptoms are not fully resolved
- you’ve been taking psychiatric medications but are unsure if they are necessary, if they are working for you, or are concerned about side effects
- you’ve been seeing a counselor or therapist and they recommend you see a psychiatrist
- you are concerned that your ways of coping with stress are harmful such as overeating, restricting food, binge shopping, using alcohol, or using pain pills or other drugs